Helpful Hints: Top 10 Life Safety Compliance Deficiencies of 2011 - Part 10
I hope you found the last blog entry covering #9 on the Top Ten
List of List Safety Code Deficiencies on K56, Sprinkler System
This is the last entry for my blog series on the Top Ten Life
Safety Deficiencies for 2011 and #10 on the list is K12,
Construction Types. I will also include a summary of the
Top Ten list for your reference.
K12 -Construction Type
Tables are broken down into five construction types.
- Type I and II -non-combustible
- Types III, IV, and V -combustible
K12 takes construction materials, fire ratings, sprinkler
coverage, and number of stories into consideration. All nursing
homes, regardless of construction type, must be completely
sprinkled by Aug. 13, 2013.
Common Citation Scenarios:
- Holes in the gypsum board ceiling.
- Unprotected ventilation grills.
- Recessed light fixtures and speakers not protected with UL fire
- Air registers are not equipped with fire dampers.
- Missing ceiling tiles.
- Unsealed holes and electrical conduit, metal pipe,
- PVC pipe, and low-voltage wiring penetrations through the room
- PVC pipe penetrations through floor/ceiling assembly not sealed
with fire rated material.
- Suspended ceiling systems not one-hour fire resistive rated
- No documentation provided by the facility to indicate the
ceiling tile and grid system has a fire resistance
K12 is a little different then the previous 9 on this list in
the sense of being less open to interpretation.
Top Ten Life Safety Deficiencies for 2011 Summary
K147 Electrical Requirements
K62 Sprinkler System Maintenance
K29 Hazardous Areas
K18 Corridor Doors
K38 Exit Access
K25 Smoke Partition Construction
K144 Generator Inspections and Testing
K50 Fire Drills
K56 Sprinkler System Installation
Top 10 Deficiencies and How to Avoid Them, Indiana State
Department of Health
Preventative Maintenance Manual, Ohio
Department of Health
So That's What They Look For, CMS
Most Frequently Cited Life Safety Code Regulations, North
Dakota Department of Health
This entry was written by Tuesday, January 22, 2013
Bookmark the permalink.
Follow any comments here with the
RSS feed for this post.
You can .